Sunday, July 11, 2010

second day in Cuzco

Hey!

So the first thing I have to say about Cuzco is that it´s absolutely fabulous, and all the other students are fabulous too. I have a feeling the next 5 weeks are going to fly by. So I miss you all back in the states, but this is definitely quite the experience, and if you get the chance, I´d highly recommend it.

Anyway the flight wasn´t too bad, but the 10 hour layover in Lima was only excusable because I was in good company. My now roommates, Chris and Erika both met me in LAX and we had a pretty good time trying to avoid boredom and attempting to catch up on our already assigned homework.

We were met at the airport by Ignacio and Alex, managers of our hostel, which is a gorgeous refurbished 18th century house. The ride to the hostel (and every cab ride we´ve taken so far) have been adventures in and of themselves as the streets are all narrow cobblestone alleys and pedestrians beware - cars will NOT stop for you to cross. All the buildings are made out of old stone masonry, with hidden mazes of shops inside them. There are tons of stray dogs just sleeping on train tracks and outside doors. It´s definitely an interesting place.

Watching the descent from the plane was amazing - it was like the mountains stretched out forever, totally unlike anything in the states. The altitude difference was a little hard at first, but with the help of altitude pills and many many cups of coca tea I seem to be doing just fine, and so does most everyone else.

Erika, Chris and I got to the hostel a bit early and got settled in, our room is like a mini apartment or suite, with a TV and small couch and kitchenette in a main room and two bedrooms, one below and one above. I´m rooming with a girl named Jess, who is from London, and Erika and Chris are with a girl named Sandy whose parents are from Cuzco. Sandy has been really nice and helpful the whole time - she´s been to Cuzco a few times before and speaks fluent spanish. Most of us speak enough to get by, but nowhere near fluent.

Anyway our first day we walked to plaza de armas, which is a big square with shops and a few cathedrals. We ate at a vegetarian restaurant off a side street. I keep having the same reaction to the food - looks very strange and colorful, tastes absolutely delicious (and no Jennifer, if you´re reading this - I haven´t eaten guinea pig yet - apparently it is quite the delicacy though).

After eating we met up with some others who had just gotten in, and a few who had been here for a while but had been watching the soccer game at a bar. It took us about 4 cabs, but we all got to another shopping market that sold all discounted modern stuff. Kinda like a peruvian style mall. (By the way, all cab rides are about 3 soles, no matter where you´re going - which is about one US dollar). The market was crazy packed with all kinds of people, and oh god the amount of cute shoes and boots! Still salivating a little bit over it. I didn´t buy anything but chipped in for a DVD player so we can watch movies at night since we have a TV. So many discount movies were being sold too. Not everything is great quality, but let me know if anybody´s looking for anything specific, because they all sell for around a dollar.

After we went to an andean market. All alpaca, everywhere. great stuff. I need gift orders guys. email me.

Today I went to mass at the local cathedral. So beautiful, and a very interesting experience. Then all 20 of us that have arrived so far went to a bar to watch the world cup. It was completely packed. great stuff. Then more shopping and finally dinner was again, fantastic.

ok so I think I´ve used up way too much computer time as there´s only one, so I´ll check in again in the next couple days. This week is museum visiting week, so it should be good.

Miss you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment